Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Soft Landing

So my room is still clean and the trauma is settling. Communication lines, blasted open by my abrupt departure, have stayed open. It's not perfect- but we're trying.

3 weeks til I get the keys- HUGE!!!

Mom is panicking about every 3 days, my stepdad calmly asks her "Aren't you proud of Ashley? This is a big step." I truly believe that we'll get there.

Any tips from you lovely folks about independent living? What do you wish you'd known when you moved out?

Dia- I really enjoyed the book that Tortuga did his report on when I was younger. When I was Corazon's age, I read Anne of Green Gables and Emily of New Moon. She might like them, the language is really rich.

Think that's all I have to say right now. Still reading all of you, every day.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Honestly, it's been so long ago I don't remember. It's a huge step and I am so proud of you and happy to ride along on your new adventure!

Dia por Dia said...

Thanks for the recommendation of Emily and New Moon. Corazon LOVES Anne of Green Gables.

As for independent living well I think you should take it one step at a time. Get a handle on what is "easy" for you (cleaning, routines, budgeting, etc.) and work in the other stuff (errands, groceries, cooking/food prep/eating, etc) as you see what your REAL patterns are rather than the "ideal." While this can be a good time to start new habits it also is better to kind of rely on how you ACTUALLY live life and make it work for you. Hope that helps.

Dia por Dia said...

Me again....
I gave you an award. Hop over to my blog and get it!

Reighnie said...

One thing I wish I would have done when I first moved out was enjoyed it more. I was so busy working too many jobs and going to school, I was never home to enjoy it.

I can't even remember being home any other time other than to sleep and shower.

So, my first tip- soak it all in. lol

Second tip, make it yours. Have fun making your home, decorating, choosing things for it. I love doing that now and wish I would have started sooner. Even if you think you aren't the type, I wasn't...but it's so nice to come back home now to comfy things.

OH, and don't forget to pay utilities. Make a chart or something to help you remember. That can suck if you forget, especially if it's a Friday before the weekend. lol

I'm excited for you. A new chapter!!!

Torina said...

I agree with Dia...keep it as simple as you can at first because it can get a little overwhelming. It is also really exhilarating and fun to have your own place, too. I'm so happy for you!!