Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Books about Radishes for Radishes?

Do they exist?

The reason I ask (and I'm not talking straight biography here, I'm talking fictional books) is that there were very few books about kids with CP when I was small. In fact, now that I think about it, there are still not that many.

But one I was very happy to find was Mine for Keeps by Jean Little. It was, however, written in 1962, so not the most relevant for a little girl living with CP 30 years later- but there were some pieces.

Of course, as I got older I've really begun to see and critique the flaws in Little's book. She didn't have CP, she didn't live CP, she only taught some children who did- So Sal's life reads a little like "I did this. And then I did this. And then I did this." Like an observer.

The author does live with vision loss, knows it intimately, and this shines through in another of her books- From Anna. Published in 1973, Anna is a young girl living with vision loss, and her story although told in the same, simple appropriate language for the age group, rings much more...true, I suppose. Anna just doesn't go to school with her glasses- She *IS* at school with her glasses.

This got me thinking about Radishes. Are there similar books? Would Radishes who are in recovery find comfort in a book about a boy or girl with an Awesome Mom and an AT and weighted vests?

Hoping this post is making a little sense- I'm going to hit publish anyway

2 comments:

Lisa said...

The only book we've found that J relates to is "Don't Touch My Heart". She loves that book and helps her feel less alone.

Keri said...

AHH! Why didnt I know about your blog? Anyway, glad I found it! I havent found any such books, but I've been taking notes for 4 years, hoping to write young adult
fiction about a girl with RAD some day... most likely when I'm old and retired, but..the thought is there!